• Translate Site:

(MCP) Motor Carrier Permit

A Motor Carrier Permit is a document issued by the DMV’s Motor Carrier Services Branch. The permit is issued to the motor carrier as evidence of the registration with the DMV of their Carrier Identification Number (CA#), as required by CVC Section 34620. Additionally, the permit verifies the motor carrier has met all of the statutory requirements to commercially operate motor vehicles on California’s highways. The permit contains information specific to the motor carrier (e.g., name, mailing address, CA#, and effective/expiration dates of the permit).

Who needs a permit?

· Any person or business entity that is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size or weight. Persons who transport property for compensation are deemed a ‘For-Hire’ motor carrier.

· Generally, any person or business entity operating a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, either for business or personal use.

Persons operating such vehicles are deemed a ‘Private’ motor carrier.


Who will not need a permit?

· Vehicles operated by household goods and/or passenger carriers as defined in Section 5109 Of the Public Utilities Code (those vehicles operate under Public Utilities Commission authority)

· Vehicles operated by household goods carriers to transport used office, store, and institutional furniture and fixtures when operated under a household goods carrier permit issued pursuant to Section 5137 of the PUC.

· Pickup trucks with a GVWR of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less 8,001 pounds, and equipped with a box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length, when operated in a noncommercial manner.

· Utility trailers, camp trailers, or trailer coaches.

· Vehicles providing transportation of passengers only, a passenger stage corporation transporting baggage and express upon a passenger vehicles incidental to the transportation of passengers.

· Vehicles used only for personal use and are 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.

· Two-axle daily rental trucks with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds when operated in noncommercial use.

· Vehicles which are exempt from vehicle registration fees.


Our account managers maintain the highest level of contact with all of the various authority agencies, which ensures our ability to process authority and permit applications with the greatest speed and accuracy to ensure compliance and operational status

Call us now, one of our representatives will be happy to assist you in all your needs.